Thursday, June 25, 2009

Countdown to Paris

It has been nearly a year since I was in Paris. A great deal has happened over the past 365 days - some good (my husband bought me a sweet Mini-Cooper for my 40th birthday), and some not so good (it was my 40th birthday!) Despite the highs and the lows, one thing has remained constant; the longing in my heart to be back in Paris.

Despite the fact that I barely speak any French (and the little I attempt to speak is - to the French - the equivalent of nails down a chalkboard), and have no known ancestry that even remotely links me to France, I am completely and hopelessly consumed by it. I love everything about Paris - the architecture, the history, the food, the way of life, the people, even the Metro.
I cannot learn enough about its history, politics, and culture. I listen to French music just to hear the language and watch French movies in hopes of getting a glimpse of some familiar Parisian landmark.

Luckily, I won't have to wait much longer to return...my husband Bill, his parents, his sister Mimi, my friend Sherry, and 33 of Bill's and my students will embark on our 2009 European adventure in a mere four days. Yes, the countdown is on! We will spend 11 days traveling through Paris, Normandy, and Munich. And since it was such a big hit last summer, I will lug around my computer so that I can entertain you with our daily escapades on this blog. I will do my best to add photos and maybe even video (if I am tech savvy enough to figure it out!)

I am so grateful to share the Paris I know with my family and students who will accompany me and hope that you will be able to vicariously travel with us through this blog.
I hope you will follow along and leave your comments as we go...no matter how amazing our trip is, words from home are always a welcome thing!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck and have a safe flight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are blogging this adventure . . . very, very cool. I've subscribed to your blog and look forward to reading your posts and commenting during your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I will come along vicariously

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you already! Can't wait to hear about what all you do!!
    -Gab

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a GREAT time, and a wave out to all LBG travelers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. have a great safe trip. enjoy the experience of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete